What is Christian Science?
Simply put, Christian Science is the science of Christianity — the practical application of Christian ideas to daily life. It’s both a religious teaching and a system of healing founded on the Bible’s universal truths. Learn about Christian Science.
Please visit our Links page for other helpful resources.
Who is Mary Baker Eddy?
Mary Baker Eddy (1821-1910) is the Discoverer and Founder of Christian Science.
She was a firm believer in equal rights for all people. She also loved to study the
Bible and often turned to it for inspiration. In 1866 Mrs. Eddy had a severe fall on an
icy sidewalk and was bedridden and in critical condition. She asked for her Bible,
and after reading an account of one of Jesus' healings, she found herself suddenly well.
For nine years following this healing, Mrs. Eddy studied her Bible intently and shared
her new-found healing ideas with others through healing and teaching. In 1875 her book,
Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, was published. In this book, Mrs. Eddy explains the "science" behind how Jesus healed, and that these healing works are possible to all by turning to God through prayer.
Mary Baker Eddy went on to establish The Mother Church (The First Church of Christ, Scientist), as well as the Christian Science Publishing Society. At age 87, she started The Christian Science Monitor, a newspaper designed "to injure no man, but to bless all mankind."
Christian Scientists regard Mary Baker Eddy and all that she did for the world very highly, but they do not worship her.
How long has the Christian Science Church been in Petoskey?
The Perry family began holding regular Sunday morning meetings in the dining room of the Perry Hotel in 1899. A Christian Science Society was formed in 1906. By 1908, eighteen charter members reorganized as First Church of Christ, Scientist, Petoskey, Michigan, with a Sunday School, Reading Room, and Journal-listed practitioner.
The present church site at 420 Waukazoo was donated by three members. An edifice was built, and services began on August 12, 1911. Many years later, a new auditorium was built, and church services moved into the present edifice on November 13, 1966. The Sunday School moved upstairs, and a Children's Room was created on the lower level.